Well that happened. Kansas opened on a 19-1 run, and opened the second half on a 10-0 run, but twice UAB stormed back to make it a game before Kansas eventually pulled away, putting in perhaps their most complete performance of the year.
Kansas scored 1.06 points per possession, shooting 56 percent inside the arc and 44 percent beyond it. The lone real misstep was Kansas turning it over on a fifth of their possessions against a team that doesn’t turn teams over much.
Defensively the Jayhawks were even better, allowing .8 points per possession, limiting the Blazers to 38.5 percent shooting inside the arc and 29 percent shooting from three. The Jayhawks also allowed UAB to rebound just 23 percent of its misses.
In the end, it was a picture perfect illustration of how good the team could be. When they’re shooting threes like they were early (and late) it will be virtually impossible to beat them. But when they’re not, they can run out of ideas on offense and also turn the ball over, and then they are very beatable.
- Frank Mason: B+. Mason was 5-7 on twos and 3-6 from three, adding 5 assists but turning it over 4 times. He added 3 steals.
- Devonte Graham: A. Graham was 4-9 from deep, dished out 7 assists, and had 2 turnovers. Graham also added 3 steals.
- Josh Jackson: A. Jackson led the team in scoring, was 7-11 on twos, added 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. He also had a couple highlight dunks and ended some poor UAB player’s night.
- Carlton Bragg: C. Bragg made a couple OK plays defensively, but struggled a bit on offense, missing a couple bunnies and an easy jumper. He was just 2-6 from the field.
- Landen Lucas: B+. Lucas actually led the team in offensive rating, but was just 1-1 from the field. He did add 4 offensive rebounds, however. But his biggest contributions came on the defensive end, where he constantly defended the rim.
- Svi Mykhailiuk: A-. Svi was 4-5 from three, had 5 rebounds, and an assist.
- Udoka Azubuike: C+. Azubuike was 1-1 from the floor, had 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks. 3 turnovers and a continuing penchant for fouling keeps him at a C+.
- Lagerald Vick: D. He didn’t make a shot and had 3 turnovers. Things have gone better for him, but obviously we should still be optimistic.