As I mentioned yesterday Kansas was selected with the 5th pick in the 6th round of the SB Nation conference re-draft yesterday. The selection was one that placed Kansas at the top end of those "basketball" school types and as we discussed a little yesterday it seemed to fit right about where we thought we would end up. 35th overall in the draft, 4th in the Big 12, first in terms of teams formerly in the North. Without further ado, here's the layout of the conference that Kansas was selected to.
- Round 1, Pick 2: Florida
- Round 2, Pick 11: Penn St.
- Round 3, Pick 14: Virginia Tech
- Round 4, Pick 23: Miami
- Round 5, Pick 26: Auburn
- Round 6, Pick 35: KANSAS!
Thoughts on the draw? Kansas would be the most consistent basketball program with relative ease although an annual matchup with Billy Donovan's Gators would certainly provide a solid program to compete with. From a football standpoint we do have that one big Orange Bowl win over new conference foe Va Tech and Miami has been a bit of a mystery in recent years. It's definitely a group that revolves around FOOTBALL and a conference shifted heavily to the East, but Kansas was choice numero uno when it came time to address the game of basketball.
More thoughts and full draft outline after the jump.
Here's your full draft update:
1-1 BC Interruption TEXAS
1-2 Black Heart Gold Pants FLORIDA
1-3 Team Speed Kills ALABAMA
1-4 Big East Coast Bias OHIO STATE
1-5 House of Sparky USC
1-6 Red Cup Rebellion LSU
2-7 Red Cup Rebellion MICHIGAN
2-8 House of Sparky NOTRE DAME
2-9 Big East Coast Bias FLORIDA STATE
2-10 Team Speed Kills OKLAHOMA
2-11 Black Heart Gold Pants PENN STATE
2-12 BC Interruption GEORGIA
3-13 BC Interruption UCLA
3-14 Black Heart Gold Pants VIRGINA TECH
3-15 Team Speed Kills NEBRASKA
3-16 Big East Coast Bias LOUISVILLE
3-17 House of Sparky OREGON
3-18 Red Cup Rebellion NORTH CAROLINA
4-19 Red Cup Rebellion STANFORD
4-20 House of Sparky TENNESSEE
4-21 Big East Coast Bias MICHIGAN STATE
4-22 Team Speed Kills TEXAS A&M
4-23 Black Heart Gold Pants MIAMI
4-24 BC Interruption WISCONSIN
5-25 BC Interruption WASHINGTON
5-26 Black Heart Gold Pants AUBURN
5-27 Team Speed Kills ARIZONA
5-28 Big East Coast Bias WEST VIRGINIA
5-29 House of Sparky SYRACUSE
5-30 Red Cup Rebellion ARKANSAS
6-31 Red Cup Rebellion IOWA
6-32 House of Sparky KENTUCKY
6-33 Big East Coast Bias MARYLAND
6-34 Team Speed Kills CALIFORNIA
6-35 Black Heart Gold Pants KANSAS
6-36 BC Interruption DUKE
- So yes PenHawk Kansas was taken before Duke by a nose.
- Current "basketball" schools taken ahead of Kansas include: Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina, Louisville, UCLA.
- Some of those could be argued, Syracuse has some solid football tradition and North Carolina/UCLA have both achieved success at times. Louisville is the most profitable basketball program in the Nation and I have been told that Calipari paid off "House of Sparky" to get Kentucky selected as early as possible.
- Anyone that you are surprised at? Anyone that you would have selected ahead of Kansas? anyone that shouldn't have been selected ahead of Kansas?