No. 1 Kansas returns home to host Colorado on Saturday. The Jayhawks have won 11 straight after their 59-54 victory at No. 24/23 Texas A&M on ESPN's Big Monday (Feb. 15) and now boast road wins versus Kansas State, Texas, Texas A&M and Temple, all ranked teams. KU is 25-1 on the season and 11-0 in Big 12 play. Colorado is 12-13 on the season and 3-8 in conference action after its 77-67 win against Oklahoma on Feb. 17.
|Rank and Records||COLO||KU|
|Strength of Schedule||#20||#14|
|RPI Top 50||2-6||9-1|
Kansas won its 11th conference game for a remarkable 16th-straight season with its win at Texas A&M Monday. The Jayhawks have the nation's longest active home court winning streak at 56 games. Kansas' 25-1 record is its best record since the 1996-97 team was also 25-1 and eventually went 34-2. KU averages 82.2 points per game and gives up 62.4 ppg for a Big 12-leading +19.8 scoring margin. In Big 12 play, Kansas is scoring 78.4 points per game and holds a +12.4 scoring margin.
Colorado ended a four-game losing streak with its 77-67 win against Oklahoma Wednesday. Colorado is 1-8 in true road games this season. CU averages 74.1 points per game and gives up 72. The Buffs lead the Big 12 in free throw percentage at 76.3 percent, while Kansas is seventh at 69.4 percent.
Junior guard Cory Higgins leads Colorado in scoring at 18.1 points per game, which is fifth in the Big 12. Higgins is one of four CU players who have made 20 three-pointers this season and he leads the team with 49 steals. His 61
assists are second on the squad and he is fourth in the Big 12 with an 84.2 free throw percentage.
Freshman guard Alec Burks is next in scoring with 16.8 ppg, seventh in the league, and he leads CU with 4.8 rebounds per contest. Junior forward Marcus Relphorde is a starter who scores 10.5 points per game and has 24 three-pointers, while senior guard Dwight Thome II comes off the bench to score 8.2 ppg and has a team-high 28 threes.
Sophomore forward Austin Dufault (6.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg) and sophomore guard Nate Tomlinson (5.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg) are both starters. Tomlinson has 25 three-pointers, leads the team with 103 assists and his 4.1 assists per game average is seventh in the Big 12. Junior forward Casey Crawford (4.0 ppg) and junior guard Levi Knutson (3.2 ppg) are both regulars off the bench for CU.
This series dates back to 1931 and Kansas leads 118-39, including a 59-7 record in Lawrence (50-5 in Allen Fieldhouse). Kansas has won 14 straight and 41 of the last 42 meetings with CU dating back to 1991. The last Colorado win in the series was a 60-59 thriller on Jan. 22, 2003, in Boulder. The previous CU win was a 79-71 victory on Feb. 20, 1991, also in Boulder. Since 1984, Kansas has won the last 26 meetings in Lawrence. Since the inception of the Big 12, Kansas is 27-1 against Colorado - 26-1 in regular-season play and 1-0 in the league championship. On Feb. 3 in Boulder, Sherron Collins made a free throw with 38 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime. Marcus Morris scored six of Kansas' 12 points in overtime as the Jayhawks defeated Colorado 72-66. Cole Aldrich had a double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds and Morris ended the night with 15 points. Marcus Relphorde led Colorado with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
- Cole Aldrich broke the KU single-season record in blocked shots. His five blocked shots increased his total to 98 and moved him past previous record-holder Greg Ostertag (1994) who had 97. Aldrich also owns the third best mark with 94 blocked shots as a sophomore in 2009.
- Aldrich has blocked at least three shots in the last eight games, and 24 of 26 games this season.
- Sherron Collins collected his 500th career assist. He joined Darnell Valentine (1,821 points, 609 assists) and Kirk Hinrich (1,753 points, 668 assists) as the only three Jayhawks in history to collect at least 1,700 points and 500 assists. Collins' totals are 1,722 points and 500 assists.
- Marcus Morris has 59 rebounds in the last seven games. He has scored in double figures in his last 11 outings.
- Texas A&M outrebounded Kansas by eight (41-33), which was KU's biggest rebounding deficit of the season.
- Kansas stopped a 16-game winning streak for Texas A&M in Reed Arena.
- The attendance of 13,657 was a Reed Arena record.
|#12||D. Thorne II||24||9||21.333||8.167||46.9||88.9||46.7||2.042||0.208||1.833||1.792||1.0||0.708||0.083||2.125|