I absolutely will use a cheerleader picture if available (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
After a game like these, fans are generally going to be split into two camps. Camp one will consist of people saying that the game started at 11:30, we missed a lot of jump shots which isn't going to happen too often, and it was good for our guys to get a test when losing still doesn't hurt us. Camp two will consist of people playing the sky is falling card. The truth of course is somewhere in the middle.
Did we play great? no. But not too many teams manage to score over a point per possession when they have an eFG as bad as 39.8%. Kansas only turned it over on 12.9% of their possessions, far below the season average, and grabbed 39.4% of their offensive rebounds. The big problem was going 5-25 from three. Passing it into McMorris probably was the smarter gameplan, given how dominant he was, but I'm not going to tell Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar, who shoot 40 and 43 percent from three, to pass up open looks. Those guys just aren't going to go 1-8 and 1-6 often, and I'd much rather it be yesterday than in the Elite 8.
Defensively the Jayhawks didn't force too many turnovers, so although Okie State only put up a 44% eFG they still managed a point per possession. But before you call the defense abysmal (though I will admit the effort was lacking at times), they shot 43.2% from two, which is under the average that Kansas normally allows, and even under their abysmal average.
The general trend the games have taken is perhaps a bit worrisome, but this game specifically doesn't worry me in the least bit. If they lose tonight to Colorado it will be because Burks, Higgins, Knutson and company had great shooting nights, not because of some residue from this game.
- Marcus Morris started off hot as heck and although he ended up cooling off a bit he managed to finish with 16 points shooting 50% from two. He also had a ridiculous 9 offensive rebounds, and 11 total.
- Brady ended up with 11 points, but with just a 37.5% eFG. He also had 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Markieff had an efficient 10 points on 3-4 shooting from two and 5 rebounds.
- Tyshawn made all three of his 2 point shots, and pitched in 2 rebounds and an assist.
- Elijah was 1-1 from two, and had an assist.
- Although he was just 2-8 from two, Mario Little was pretty big down the stretch both defensively and offensively, making a three as well as a traditional three point play. He also had 4 rebounds.
- Josh Selby made a 3!!!! Sadly he didn't do much else.
Player of the game
Marcus (33 votes)
Markieff (4 votes)
Brady (1 vote)
The Hobbit (19 votes)
57 total votes