Through reading various comments on RCT, I've found that as KU fans we can basically agree that we don't like K-State and Missouri. But as for feelings on the other teams in the Big 12, there seem to be a lot of discrepancies. For some of us that stems from where we're from, where we live now, or perhaps where family members went to school. Sometimes, I think we just start liking or disliking certain teams for no reason in particular. Just as a matter of curiosity (and boredom), I thought I'd see how people rank the teams in the Big 12 in terms of rooting interest. I guess that's sort of like asking people to rank their favorite respiratory diseases, but I'm interested to see who the most liked and most hated (outside of the obvious two) are. My list after the jump...
1) KU - Obviously. It's where I went to school, and I grew up in the KC area, making them an easy team to follow as a kid.
2) Nebraska - I know this is not a popular one, but my entire freaking family on both sides is full of NU fans/alums. I even have a relative who works in the Athletic Department. The Huskers were actually my favorite team for about the first 12 or so years of my life.
3) Oklahoma State - I have no reason for liking OSU, but for some reason I've always kind of rooted for them. I think as a kid I thought the black and orange uniforms were cool. Whatever the reason, I usually root for them as long as it wouldn't hurt KU.
4) Texas A&M - I like that they have a Jayhawk coaching their basketball team, and their football stadium when full is an incredible atmosphere.
5) Texas Tech - I always kinda liked Mike Leach, and was disappointed to see the Pirate go. They strike me as kind of an "off the beaten path" type of place, which I kinda like as well.
6) Colorado - When I was a kid they were a really good football team, so I got to watch them a lot. They've also been so terrible at basketball, there's sort of a "root for the little guy" factor involved here too.
7) Baylor - At one time, Baylor would have been higher on this list, but I don't like Scott Drew, and their basketball team last year really ruined their "root for the little guy" factor. I did think it was neat to see their football team make a bowl game this year though.
8) Iowa State - Now we're getting into the teams I don't have much positive to say about. Their fans tend to be a little overboard, despite not having much to hang their hat on. I don't know why exactly, just always had negative feelings toward ISU.
9) Oklahoma - Growing up in a Nebraska household, there was never much shot of me becoming an OU fan. The "boomer Sooner" chant is obnoxious.
10) Texas - Texas just stands for everything I hate. They joined the Big 8 teams after their conference fell apart, and immediately started throwing their weight around. I also hate that KU and the rest of the Big 12 is so financially dependent on them. Screw Texas.
11) Kansas State - I really hate K-State, just slightly less than MU. The color purple makes me sick. Their fans have an irrational obsession with us, to the point where they seem to root harder against us than they do for their own team. K-State is pathetic.
Dead last) Missouri - Mizzou is such a waste of my time, I'm not even going to type anything about them.
Anybody else have any teams they are sympathetic to? Or have any irrational hatred toward?