It's been awhile since we've ran the plus/minus update, so we've got two games included here with the previous two games in the chart at the bottom. Didn't figure anyone really needed to see the UMKC game broken down at this point in the season. So we've got Iowa State and Michigan below.
For the first table, I'm including Iowa State's numbers as well. The contrast between their team and the Jayhawks stands out pretty clearly. In what turned out to be a very 'meh' game on the offensive end, the Jayhawks only had two players in the negative and they're at -1. The Cyclones have four guys below zero for a -9 from half their guys that received minutes. That's just a tough hill to climb. Kansas doesn't look a whole lot better here if you take out Marcus Morris. It wasn't a one man show but it was as close as Kansas gets to it.
|Marcus Morris, F||27||15||3||13||2||0||0||2||2||33||26|
|Markieff Morris, F||27||12||6||11||1||1||3||3||3||17||9|
|Tyrel Reed, G||28||5||0||1||3||2||1||1||1||3||3|
|Tyshawn Taylor, G||25||6||0||4||4||0||1||3||2||2||0|
|Josh Selby, G||31||12||2||2||1||1||1||3||0||14||2|
|Brady Morningstar, G||29||5||0||5||4||1||0||1||0||5||9|
|Mario Little, G||19||8||1||4||0||1||0||0||2||8||2|
|Thomas Robinson, F||6||1||0||3||0||1||0||3||3||2||-1|
|Elijah Johnson, G||8||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||-1|
|Jamie Vanderbeken, F||39||12||0||8||1||0||0||2||2||19||12|
|Melvin Ejim, F||29||4||0||10||3||2||1||1||4||6||13|
|Scott Christopherson, G||40||13||0||3||3||0||0||0||3||9||-1|
|Diante Garrett, G||40||25||0||2||5||1||0||4||0||27||6|
|Darion 'Jake' Anderson, G||37||15||0||6||4||0||1||1||4||16||7|
|Bubu Palo, G||3||1||0||1||0||0||0||2||0||0||-2|
|Calvin Godfrey, F||9||0||0||1||0||1||1||2||5||0||-4|
|Jordan Railey, F||3||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||4||2||-2|
- McMorris with a +26 is the high total of the season. Maybe Marcus got tired of people asking if Markieff was starting to take over "Most Valuable Jayhawk".
- Kieff had a pretty solid game at +9. Make a few more free throws and he's at his average through non-conference.
- Bigs added 36 of the teams +49. That's two games in a row where the bigs totally dominated the plus/minus. The Morri having back to back good games combined with bad 3 pt shooting will do that. Haven't compared them through the season but it might be interesting to look at sometime.
- A large part of why I included ISU's chart is because of Diante Garrett. Yes, he had 27 points. He also required 25 shots to get there. It makes for great highlights but that's just not very efficient.
Michigan and the last 6 games plus season average below the jump.
|Marcus Morris, F||39||18||1||10||2||0||0||0||2||22||13|
|Markieff Morris, F||35||7||3||11||2||0||0||4||2||13||10|
|Tyrel Reed, G||35||9||0||5||1||4||0||1||1||10||9|
|Tyshawn Taylor, G||38||6||1||6||4||1||0||4||3||12||9|
|Josh Selby, G||38||10||0||2||4||0||0||3||3||5||-5|
|Brady Morningstar, G||17||3||0||2||1||0||0||0||2||4||2|
|Travis Releford, G||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Thomas Robinson, F||9||1||3||5||0||0||0||3||2||1||-3|
|Elijah Johnson, G||10||2||0||0||0||1||0||1||3||0||-5|
As fetch pointed out in the statistical recap, this was an ugly game to watch and the plus/minus from this one confirms it. The Jayhawks posted a combined +30 over the course of the game, season low by 7 and that includes an extra five minutes to add to their box score.
- Nice game by Taylor. Grabbed some rebounds, distributed a little bit. Until he takes a little better care of the ball though, people will continue to doubt him. According to statsheet, Taylor has the 8th highest TO% in the Big 12. He plays risky and that's part of him, a little less risk might be better though.
- The Morri combine 23 of the teams +30. If they stay out of foul trouble, Kansas will be in good shape. I'm not looking forward to the first time we see it show up in conference play. Just hope it's a good shooting night.
- Elijah Johnson just can't find a groove. I'm rooting for the guy but it's looking more and more like this isn't going to be his year.
|Cal||UT-Arl||Miami||UMKC||Michigan||Iowa State||Season Average|