Another season of basketball and we're going to continue with the look back at games using the same plus/minus that was used last year. This season we're going to publish it every Wednesday and cover all the games from the previous week, we'll see how that goes. These posts are going to be limited to the tables and a few quick thoughts or trends that are spotted throughout the year with other basketball stuff posted separately throughout the week (hopefully).
My biggest worry heading into this season was whether or not the Jayhawks would be able to score consistently enough to win the conference. We knew Marcus Morris could score. We knew Tyrel Reed could light it up from the 3 point line. Did we really know anything else about this team's ability to score? Markieff had moments last year where he looked like he could score but he also had moments where he looked lost. After two games, I'm a lot more comfortable. I guess the team putting up 1.41 points per possession in a game will do that for a fan.
Game 1: Kansas vs Longwood
|Markieff Morris, F||26||8||3||15||5||4||2||2||2||14||25|
|Marcus Morris, F||26||10||0||2||0||0||2||0||1||18||11|
|Tyshawn Taylor, G||28||11||0||1||10||3||0||6||1||17||13|
|Tyrel Reed, G||26||9||0||3||2||1||0||0||1||11||7|
|Travis Releford, G||19||4||1||2||2||0||0||1||1||7||4|
|Thomas Robinson, F||19||8||1||7||0||2||0||2||1||16||13|
|Jeff Withey, C||12||4||1||3||2||2||1||0||3||8||8|
|Royce Woolridge, G||8||4||1||2||2||0||0||1||0||6||4|
|Brady Morningstar, G||14||6||0||0||2||2||1||0||3||8||4|
|Niko Roberts, G||3||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||2||2|
|Mario Little, G||16||3||1||2||3||0||0||0||3||3||1|
|Jordan Juenemann, G||3||1||0||1||0||0||0||0||1||3|
Kansas was +94. Longwood had a total of +4. The boxscore was just as lopsided as the game.
A few more thoughts and Valpo after the jump.
- Markieff Morris was a beast on opening night. Anytime a player grabs 15 rebounds and scores some points, you know things are going well for him. Mix in five assists and some steals and we're talking about being everything we can hope for in a night.
- Taylor also had a very good game on Friday. 17 points out of him combined with 10 assists, he needs that to cover his 6 turnovers. The points and assists might be a product of the competition, lets hope the turnovers aren't as well.
- T-Rob impresses as well. He was 5-8 from the field and 6-7 from the line. Love seeing that from the line because he's got a game that could send him there often. Another guy that I had no idea what to expect on the offensive end.
Game 2: Kansas vs. Valparaiso
|Markieff Morris, F||19||9||0||13||1||0||1||3||4||12||11|
|Marcus Morris, F||30||12||1||11||4||1||0||1||1||22||23|
|Tyshawn Taylor, G||30||8||1||1||5||1||0||1||2||8||3|
|Tyrel Reed, G||29||8||0||1||2||0||0||1||0||11||5|
|Travis Releford, G||15||2||0||1||0||1||1||2||3||5||1|
|Thomas Robinson, F||21||8||2||10||1||0||3||1||3||8||8|
|Jeff Withey, C||6||1||0||1||0||1||1||1||3||2||0|
|Royce Woolridge, G||3||1||0||0||2||0||1||0||0||0||2|
|Brady Morningstar, G||25||4||0||3||2||1||0||2||1||2||1|
|Niko Roberts, G||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Mario Little, G||20||5||0||4||3||0||2||3||0||9||10|
|Jordan Juenemann, G||1||0||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||2|
Kansas +66 and Valpo ended up -10...shoot 17 for 62 and miss 8 free throws and you've had a very poor game. The +66 isn't the 94 from game one but this game had 11 fewer possessions and the Jayhawks didn't shoot quite as well.
- Kieff had his minutes limited because of some foul trouble in the first half and he still has a solid game due to grabbing 13 rebounds. Picking up right where Cole Aldrich left off plus a more polished offensive game?
- Marcus Morris grabs the high total thanks to efficient scoring, 11 rebounds, and only 1 foul and 1 turnover.
- It will be interesting to see how the minutes turn out this year between Little and Releford. Releford comes in and does his job but he's still limited offensively. I'll go ahead and predict that Little gets more minutes per game while Releford is used as a defensive player or gets his shot on nights where Little's shot isn't falling.
- Morningstar doesn't look very good here and somewhat confirms what a lot of people have mentioned. He's just kind of there. While Josh Selby and Elijah Johnson are on the bench, I can deal with it. Someone has to play when Taylor sits but if those guys are available, I'm over Brady. Reed has passed him as a basketball player. Little and Releford bring more to the table than Brady. Not a knock on the guy at all, he gives his all and makes a few plays a game. I'm just far from convinced he's one of the top 8 or 9 with this team.