Quick Note: Whether you do or don't normally dive into this too deeply, take a look at the last few bullets and sections regarding Kansas conference success. Whenever someone steps up, gets a big win and challenges Kansas, they like to start calling us smug, arrogant, snobbish and a multitude of other things just because we are always confident in our team. There is a reason for that. This program is damn good, it's the class of the Big 12. It does not mean we don't respect an opponent, it does not mean we think we are better people. All it means is we believe in our team. We may not win em all...but we sure win a lot of em. Enjoy...
|Rank and Records||BAY||KU|
|Strength of Schedule||#129||#27|
|RPI Top 50||1-0||3-1|
Kansas has the nation's longest home court winning streak at 52 games. The Jayhawks average 85.2 points per game and give up 60.7 ppg for a +24.5 scoring margin. The Jayhawks have won 10 games this season by 25
or more points and eight by 30 points or more. KU has held 13 opponents to under 40 percent shooting in 2009-10, including Texas Tech, which shot 32.8 percent from the field Saturday.
KU ranks in the top three in all but three Big 12 statistics and leads the conference in scoring margin, field goal percentage (50.2), field goal percentage defense (30.2), three-point field goal percentage (42.0), assists (18.5) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4).
Baylor is 14-2 on the season and 2-1 in Big 12 play. Coached by Scott Drew, who is 95-97 in his seventh season at BU, the Bears have a 3-1 road record in 2009-10. BU leads the Big 12 in rebound margin at +11.4 and blocked shots at 7.6 per game and is second in rebound average at 43, field goal percentage at 49.9 and field goal percentage defense at 36. Baylor averages 7.9 three-point field goals per game.
Junior guard LaceDarius Dunn leads BU and is third in the Big 12 in scoring at 19.1 points per game. Dunn has made a team-high 56 three-pointers and his 3.5 made per game leads the conference. Dunn is second on the team with 17 steals.
Senior guard Tweety Carter leads the Big 12 with seven assists per game to complement his 15.6 ppg. He is behind Dunn in three-pointers made with 35.
Junior forward/center Ekpe Udoh joins KU's Cole Aldrich and Texas Damian James as the three players who average a double-double. Udoh is scoring 14.1 ppg and leads the league with an 11.4 rebound average. He is also tops in the conference with his 4.4 blocked shots per contest.
Sophomore forward Quincy Acy comes off the bench to score 9.1 points per game, while sophomore forward Anthony Jones (7.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and senior center Josh Lomers (7.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) round out the BU starters. Freshman guard A.J. Walton (3.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg) and freshman guard Nolan Dennis (3.2 ppg) are other Baylor regulars.
Meet the Opposing Coach
Scott Drew is 95-97 in his seventh season at Baylor and 115-108 in his eighth season overall. In the last two seasons, Baylor has risen to national prominence after back-to-back 20-win seasons and a berth in the championship game of the 2009 National Invitation Tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York City. As the sixth-year head coach at Baylor in 2008-09, Drew's Bears set numerous school records, while making a historical postseason run in March and April. Also in the run, Baylor defeated Kansas in the quarterfinals and advanced to the 2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship game before falling to Missouri.
Kansas leads the series with Baylor 14-2, including an 8-0 record in Lawrence and 7-0 mark in Allen Fieldhouse. This series dates back to 1951 and Kansas won the first six meetings. Since the inception of the Big 12, KU holds a 12-2 record against BU but the Bears won the last outing, a 71-64 upset in the 2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Oklahoma City. Kansas entered the game as the No. 1 seed, while Baylor was the No. 9 seed. BU won and advanced to the title game before falling to Missouri. Sherron Collins led Kansas with 16 points, while Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor had 12 each. Earlier in the season, Kansas won at Baylor 75-65 behind 17 points from Collins and 13 points from Marcus Morris.
Kansas v Tech Leftovers
- Kansas held Texas Tech to 32.8 percent shooting from the field and has held 13 of 17 opponents this season to under 40 percent from the field.
- Kansas has won by 25 or more points 10 times this season.
- The Jayhawks grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, marking the second-most offensive boards this year.
- KU's bench has outscored its opponents' bench in 13 of 17 games this season. The Jayhawk bench scored 28 points compared to 21 points for the TTU bench.
- The Red Raiders' 63 total points tie for their second-fewest points scored in a game so far this season.
According to kenpom.com, Kansas' 1.31 years experience ranks No. 292 in the nation out of 347 teams. In the Big 12, KU is 10th with Colorado (298) and Oklahoma (309) having less experience than KU.
1. Texas Tech (54 at 2.10); 2. Iowa State (115 at 1.87); 3. Texas A&M (143 at 1.81); 4. Missouri (172 at 1.72);
5. Kansas State (196 at 1.62); 6. Baylor (205 at 1.60); 7. Texas (222 at 1.55); 8. Oklahoma State (281 at 1.35); 9.
Nebraska (283 at 1.34); 10. KANSAS (292 at 1.31); 11. Colorado (298 at 1.28); 12. Oklahoma (309 at 1.20)
Kansas is vying to become the first team in Big 12 history to record 200 victories (regular-season and conference championship combined). KU is 199-43 against Big 12 foes since the inception of the league in 1996-97. The Jayhawks are 174-36 in regular-season play and 25-7 in the Big 12 Championship.
Kansas has won nine of the 13 Big 12 regular-season titles (includes ties), including the last five. Kansas' 52 conference titles are the most in NCAA Division I. Amazingly, Kansas has now won five-straight league titles for the third time in school history and first time since 1927 - five straight from 1908-12 and six straight from 1922-27.
- Kansas' 2002 team remains the only squad in Big 12 history to go undefeated in conference play at 16-0.
- Since the inception of the Big 12 in 1996-97, KU has a winning record against every league team.
- Kansas is first in the conference in wins with a 174-36 record in Big 12 regular-season games. Texas is next at 148-63. Including the league postseason championship, KU is tops at 199-43. Texas is second at 165-76.
- Kansas is the only Big 12 school to have won its regular-season championship with two different coaches Roy Williams and Bill Self.
- Under Bill Self, Kansas is 34-15 (69.4 percent) in Big 12 road games - 4-4 in 2004, 5-3 in 2005, 6-2 in 2006, 7-1 in 2007, 5-3 in 2008, 6-2 in 2009 and 1-0 in 2010.
- KU has won 10 or more league games for the last 15 seasons and 47 times overall.